Clement Law Center - Federal Way Family Law Attorney
Free Initial Consultation
Our office is open. At Clement Law Center, the safety and wellbeing of our clients and employees come first. In response to COVID-19, court hearings and all conferences with client and prospective clients will be by phone. We are not conducting in-person court hearings or meetings. Our staff will often be working remotely during this time. Our office will be checking voicemail and will return client calls as soon as possible. We continue to offer free phone consultations.
We offer a 25% discount to First Responders and Health Care Workers
Quality Representation & Individualized Advocacy You Can Depend On

Child abuse and neglect in non-parental custody cases

On Behalf of | May 18, 2015 | Child Custody & Visitation

In grandparent and other non-parental child custody cases the prevailing concern for the court is always the question “what is in the best interest of the children?” Obviously, clear instances of child abuse and neglect will normally have a profound effect on custody issues in these cases. A parent who has abused or neglected their child will have a difficult time convincing any judge or commissioner that they should keep custody of their child.

Basis for award of custody in non-parental custody cases

The court may award custody of a child to a nonparent when both parents are either unfit, or placement with either parent would result in actual detriment to the child. In re Custody of Shields, 157 Wn.2d 126, 136 P.3rd 117 (2006). See also In re Custody of SHB, 118 Wn. App. 71, 74 P.3rd 674 (2003); affirmed 153 Wn.2d 646, 105 P.3rd 991.

Custody in non-parental custody cases where one parent is fit

A nonparent who has physical custody of a child can be awarded custody against a fit biological parent if placement with the parent would result in actual detriment to the child’s growth and development. In re Custody of Shields, ibid, at 143. Nonparental custody has been granted against a fit parent who had a significant history of physical and emotional abuse, the children were fearful of the parent, and were currently living in a stable, happy, nurturing environment. In re Custody of BJB, 146 Wn. App. 1, 189 P.3rd 800 (2008); review denied, 165 Wn.2d 1037, 205 P.3rd 191.

Best interests of the child

When a child does not reside with either biological parent, the nonparent petitioners must prove that awarding them custody is in the best interests of the child. In re Custody of SBH, 118 Wn. App. 71, 79, 74 P.3rd 674 (2003); affirmed 153 Wn.2d 646, 105 P.3rd 991. Unlike a dependency or termination proceeding, a nonparental custody order does not terminate parental rights. In re Custody of SBH, supra, at 83.

Limitation of visitation rights in non-parental custody cases

The visitation rights of biological parents may be limited if the court finds that they engaged in any of the following conduct: Visitation with the child shall be limited if it is found that the parent seeking visitation has engaged in any of the following conduct: (i) Willful abandonment that continues for an extended period of time or substantial refusal to perform parenting functions; (ii) physical, sexual, or a pattern of emotional abuse of a child; (iii) a history of acts of domestic violence as defined in RCW 26.50.010(1) or an assault or sexual assault which causes grievous bodily harm or the fear of such harm; or (iv) the parent has been convicted as an adult of a sex offense. . . . 26.10.160(2)(a).


This Blog is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney author. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Blog is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances in your situation. The applicable law may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive solution to your situation you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. (C)Bruce Clement


Start Your Free Consultation

Our Office Locations

Federal Way Office
31919 1st Avenue South, Suite 103
Federal Way, WA 98003

Toll Free:888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Federal Way Office Location

Seattle Office
3418 NE 65th St., Suite A
Seattle, WA 98115

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Seattle Office Location

Bellevue Office
14777 NE 40th Street, Suite 206
Bellevue, WA 98007

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Bellevue Office Location
FindLaw Network