Clement Law Center your family law attorney
Free Initial Consultation
Our office is open. At Clement Law Center, the safety and wellbeing of our clients and employees come first. In response to COVID-19, court hearings and all conferences with client and prospective clients will be by phone. We are not conducting in-person court hearings or meetings. Our staff will often be working remotely during this time. Our office will be checking voicemail and will return client calls as soon as possible. We continue to offer free phone consultations.
We offer a 25% discount to First Responders and Health Care Workers
Attorney Bruce Clement headshot
Quality Representation & Individualized Advocacy You Can Depend On

Your Former Spouse Wants to Relocate With Your Kids: Now What?

On Behalf of | Dec 21, 2015 | Divorce

The divorce was finalized last year. You have finally adjusted to a custody and parenting schedule that works well for both you and your former spouse. Most importantly, it seems to work well for your children. Yet suddenly, your former spouse e-mails you and tells you she wants to move back home and out of Washington. This is the last thing you expected and there is no chance of you getting a new job anytime soon. What do you do now?

Contention over custody and relocation issues is an understandably stressful and emotional issue for divorced parents. Especially if you are the one contesting the relocation. The good news is that family laws in Washington do provide for you to contest such a big change for you and your children. A skilled divorce lawyer who has extensive knowledge with Washington child relocation statutes and laws can help you file such an objection.

Filing an Objection to Relocation In Washington

The mandatory form for this can be found under WPF DRPSCU 07.0700. This is the official Washington State Court System’s form to object to an intended relocation. You have 30 days to properly file this petition and serve all required parties. This could be more than just your former spouse.

Information in this form includes names of all dependents, the party seeking the relocation, reasons for your objections as well as examples of how the relocation would be disrupting and detrimental to the child’s well-being. The form also requires information about any prior agreements you have made with your former spouse.

The specific details and requirements of this objection form must be handled correctly. Otherwise, a mistake could lead to further complications in your child relocation case. That is why it is imperative that you discuss your specific child relocation objection issue with a knowledgeable lawyer.


Start Your Free Consultation

Our Office Locations

Federal Way Office
31919 1st Avenue South, Suite 103
Federal Way, WA 98003

Toll Free:888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Federal Way Office Location

Seattle Office
3418 NE 65th St., Suite A
Seattle, WA 98115

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Seattle Office Location

Bellevue Office
14777 NE 40th Street, Suite 206
Bellevue, WA 98007

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Bellevue Office Location