Clement Law Center your family law attorney
Free Initial Consultation
Our office is open. At Clement Law Center, the safety and wellbeing of our clients and employees come first. In response to COVID-19, court hearings and all conferences with client and prospective clients will be by phone. We are not conducting in-person court hearings or meetings. Our staff will often be working remotely during this time. Our office will be checking voicemail and will return client calls as soon as possible. We continue to offer free phone consultations.
We offer a 25% discount to First Responders and Health Care Workers
Attorney Bruce Clement headshot
Quality Representation & Individualized Advocacy You Can Depend On

Making the best of divorce and a difficult move

On Behalf of | Mar 12, 2018 | Uncategorized

Perhaps you have accepted a great new job in another state, which lifts your spirits after your recent divorce. You have two young daughters, and as the custodial parent, you plan to take them with you.

However, you must consider the court order, and then the move itself, both of which will involve some interaction with your ex-spouse.

Obtaining permission

Since your divorce agreement included a parenting plan, which requires modification because of your move, you must essentially gain permission to relocate your daughters. To begin with, you must serve the other parent with a Notice of Intended Relocation with Children. If there is an objection to your proposed move, he or she has 30 days in which to respond. If no response is filed, the court can approve your move as well as any changes to the existing parenting agreement.

Boxing up memories

Packing for a long-distance move is not easy, and it may require a little interaction with your ex-spouse. Both of you may have photos and other mementos from your marriage that you should consider keeping. You may feel like just throwing some of them out; after all, you have enough stuff to pack. However, now that you and the other parent will be living much farther apart, it may be a good idea to sort through these items. Some may be worth holding onto so that you can pass them along to your daughters in time. If it is not too stressful, you might want to bring this up and coordinate keepsakes with your former spouse prior to moving day.

Follow the rules

Although you are undoubtedly anxious to be on your way and have much to think about concerning the move itself, do not shirk your legal duty. An attorney experienced with relocation matters will tell you that if you should try to go around the court order in relocating your daughters, the judge could find you in contempt and require you to return your children. Complying with the laws on this end will ensure that you can enjoy a fresh start with your family on the other end.


Start Your Free Consultation

Our Office Locations

Federal Way Office
31919 1st Avenue South, Suite 103
Federal Way, WA 98003

Toll Free:888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Federal Way Office Location

Seattle Office
3418 NE 65th St., Suite A
Seattle, WA 98115

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Seattle Office Location

Bellevue Office
14777 NE 40th Street, Suite 206
Bellevue, WA 98007

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Bellevue Office Location