Clement Law Center - Federal Way Family Law Attorney
Free Initial Consultation
Our office is open. At Clement Law Center, the safety and wellbeing of our clients and employees come first. In response to COVID-19, court hearings and all conferences with client and prospective clients will be by phone. We are not conducting in-person court hearings or meetings. Our staff will often be working remotely during this time. Our office will be checking voicemail and will return client calls as soon as possible. We continue to offer free phone consultations.
We offer a 25% discount to First Responders and Health Care Workers
Quality Representation & Individualized Advocacy You Can Depend On

Parental visitation after a denial of child custody

On Behalf of | Jun 13, 2018 | Child Custody & Visitation

Some Washington parents who were denied custody of their children in court may worry that they are on the brink of losing their relationship with their kids. However, even individuals who aren’t granted custody can be successful in enjoying substantial visitation rights and time. In general, absent situations of abuse and other severe problems, family courts have a strong policy interest in supporting the involvement of both parents in children’s lives.

In addition, child custody and visitation are matters that can change in the future. It is important for people who were denied custody in court to maintain their relationship with their children and exercise their right to the visitation time they do receive in court. There are a number of reasons why a parent can be denied custody, and the first priority of the court should be the safety and well-being of the child. In some cases, a court may think a home with roommates, for example, is unsuitable for a child or have concerns about the lack of bedroom space. However, in other cases, the court may believe that traveling back and forth could be damaging to the child’s mental health even when both parents have a safe home.

Despite the custody decision, the court should issue a visitation schedule that provides details about the times and scheduling of the child’s time with the noncustodial parent. There are a number of visitation schedules that can be used, and they can include weekends, weeknight visits, split holidays and summer vacations.

In many cases, family courts prefer to see both parents collaborate and agree on how to handle child custody and visitation arrangements for their children. A family law attorney can help parents seeking custody or pursuing visitation to achieve a schedule that supports their involvement with their children or seek a modification to an existing agreement.


Start Your Free Consultation

Our Office Locations

Federal Way Office
31919 1st Avenue South, Suite 103
Federal Way, WA 98003

Toll Free:888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Federal Way Office Location

Seattle Office
3418 NE 65th St., Suite A
Seattle, WA 98115

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Seattle Office Location

Bellevue Office
14777 NE 40th Street, Suite 206
Bellevue, WA 98007

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Bellevue Office Location
FindLaw Network