Clement Law Center - Federal Way Family Law Attorney
Free Initial Consultation
Our office is open. At Clement Law Center, the safety and wellbeing of our clients and employees come first. In response to COVID-19, court hearings and all conferences with client and prospective clients will be by phone. We are not conducting in-person court hearings or meetings. Our staff will often be working remotely during this time. Our office will be checking voicemail and will return client calls as soon as possible. We continue to offer free phone consultations.
We offer a 25% discount to First Responders and Health Care Workers
Quality Representation & Individualized Advocacy You Can Depend On

What happens if you object to the relocation of your child?

On Behalf of | Jun 28, 2018 | Uncategorized

Let us say that you have been divorced for a couple of years and are adhering to the stipulations of the parenting plan you and your ex established.

Now your former spouse—the custodial parent—wants to move 200 miles away, supposedly to be closer to family, which means your child will be relocated as well. You may have reasons to object to the move. How do you proceed?

Filing and serving

After the other parent serves you with the required Notice of Intended Relocation, you will have 30 days to file your objection with the court and with the party who wishes to relocate. Relocation during this period while the objection is being considered is not permitted unless there is a court order. If you request a court hearing to prevent the relocation of your child, the scheduled date cannot be more than 15 days after your notice of objection has been served.

Special circumstances

If the parent who wishes to relocate the child is going into a domestic violence shelter to avoid a dangerous situation, the notice can be delayed for 21 days. The same applies if the goal of this parent is to avoid a clear and imminent risk to his or her personal health or safety or that of the child. In fact, if it is felt that some of the information in the notice puts the health or safety of the child at risk, a hearing may be requested to waive all or part of the notice requirements.

Going with help

Filing an objection with respect to the possible relocation of your child is probably not something you have done before. However, an attorney experienced with the issues surrounding the matter can tell you that the court will normally provide approval if there are good faith reasons for such a move. On the other hand, your objections to the relocation of your child may be just as compelling, and with legal assistance, you will be able to make a good case.


Start Your Free Consultation

Our Office Locations

Federal Way Office
31919 1st Avenue South, Suite 103
Federal Way, WA 98003

Toll Free:888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Federal Way Office Location

Seattle Office
3418 NE 65th St., Suite A
Seattle, WA 98115

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Seattle Office Location

Bellevue Office
14777 NE 40th Street, Suite 206
Bellevue, WA 98007

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Bellevue Office Location
FindLaw Network