Clement Law Center your family law attorney
Free Initial Consultation
Our office is open. At Clement Law Center, the safety and wellbeing of our clients and employees come first. In response to COVID-19, court hearings and all conferences with client and prospective clients will be by phone. We are not conducting in-person court hearings or meetings. Our staff will often be working remotely during this time. Our office will be checking voicemail and will return client calls as soon as possible. We continue to offer free phone consultations.
We offer a 25% discount to First Responders and Health Care Workers
Attorney Bruce Clement headshot
Quality Representation & Individualized Advocacy You Can Depend On

Military benefits for spouses do not end with abandonment

On Behalf of | Jan 24, 2019 | Uncategorized

The end of a relationship is traumatic, but yours may be more so if your service member spouse has abandoned you. The legal team at Clement Law Center has an in-depth knowledge of military family law, and we often provide advice to military spouses who find themselves in this position.

Military OneSource reports that a service member who leaves his or her spouse without the intention of returning to the relationship still has marital responsibilities, including a financial support obligation.

Receiving an allotment

You may be able to receive the portion of your spouse’s paycheck to which you are entitled through involuntary allotment by going to a civilian family court and requesting a court order to garnish your spouse’s wages. If you can discuss the matter with your spouse, you may want to ask him or her to voluntarily set up an allotment through the financial office instead. However, in this case, the spouse has the ability to put a stop to the payments at any time.

Receiving benefits

While you are still married, you continue to be eligible for all the benefits you have had as a military spouse. You get to keep your military ID card and have access to all the privileges it provides, and you keep your medical benefits, too. Even though your spouse no longer lives with you, you still should be able to receive a portion of his or her housing allowance. You also have the right to use any of the support services available on the installation, including child care facilities.

More information specific to military family law matters is available on our webpage.


Start Your Free Consultation

Our Office Locations

Federal Way Office
31919 1st Avenue South, Suite 103
Federal Way, WA 98003

Toll Free:888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Federal Way Office Location

Seattle Office
3418 NE 65th St., Suite A
Seattle, WA 98115

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Seattle Office Location

Bellevue Office
14777 NE 40th Street, Suite 206
Bellevue, WA 98007

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Bellevue Office Location