Clement Law Center - Federal Way Family Law Attorney
Free Initial Consultation
Our office is open. At Clement Law Center, the safety and wellbeing of our clients and employees come first. In response to COVID-19, court hearings and all conferences with client and prospective clients will be by phone. We are not conducting in-person court hearings or meetings. Our staff will often be working remotely during this time. Our office will be checking voicemail and will return client calls as soon as possible. We continue to offer free phone consultations.
We offer a 25% discount to First Responders and Health Care Workers
Quality Representation & Individualized Advocacy You Can Depend On

Am I eligible for BAH post-divorce?

On Behalf of | Feb 27, 2019 | Uncategorized

You will probably still get your basic allowance for housing after a divorce, but there are many factors that could affect it. You, like most service members, probably depend on these funds. If you anticipate some difficulty in keeping current with your housing payments in the competitive Washington real estate market, especially if you live around King County, it could benefit you to do some investigation into how your specific situation might affect the future status of your BAH.

Some of the most common factors that could contribute to a reduced allowance include the military status of your spouse, does the custody agreement regarding your children and the place where you live after your divorce. You may also encounter issues associated with different income levels before and after the divorce is finalized.

The first rule that could affect you would only have relevance if your spouse was also in the military and if you had children. According to federal rules, only one of you would be able to claim your kids as dependents for the BAH. 

The second factor would likely be your children. They could play a role, even if your spouse was a civilian. Specifically, if your ex had custody, you would probably continue to receive the allowance. However, this could depend on the amount of your child support obligation. 

The third major factor would probably be where you chose to live after the divorce was complete. If you lived in a single unit on base, you could probably receive a housing stipend that would cover your child support payments. If you lived off base, and if your custodial spouse was a civilian, then you may be able to claim your kids as dependent and qualify for a higher allowance.

One of the best ways to handle these situations is typically to get all of your information together first, and then craft a solid, livable agreement during the divorce proceedings. As mentioned on FindLaw, you may leave yourself open to misconduct if you fail to support your dependents. However, each situation is different. Please do not regard this as any type of legal advice specific to an actual situation. It is only background information. 



Start Your Free Consultation

Our Office Locations

Federal Way Office
31919 1st Avenue South, Suite 103
Federal Way, WA 98003

Toll Free:888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Federal Way Office Location

Seattle Office
3418 NE 65th St., Suite A
Seattle, WA 98115

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Seattle Office Location

Bellevue Office
14777 NE 40th Street, Suite 206
Bellevue, WA 98007

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Bellevue Office Location
FindLaw Network