Clement Law Center your family law attorney
Free Initial Consultation
Our office is open. At Clement Law Center, the safety and wellbeing of our clients and employees come first. In response to COVID-19, court hearings and all conferences with client and prospective clients will be by phone. We are not conducting in-person court hearings or meetings. Our staff will often be working remotely during this time. Our office will be checking voicemail and will return client calls as soon as possible. We continue to offer free phone consultations.
We offer a 25% discount to First Responders and Health Care Workers
Attorney Bruce Clement headshot
Quality Representation & Individualized Advocacy You Can Depend On

Can uncles get visitation rights in Washington?

On Behalf of | Jul 21, 2019 | Uncategorized

Most who have ever become uncles understand the special relationship between an adult and his nephews and nieces. That makes sense, as recent studies suggest that uncles play an important role in the development and wellbeing of children. 

If the parents of your nephews and nieces choose not to let you visit the children, you may feel a tremendous sense of loss. Thanks to a June 2018 change in Washington law, though, you may have some legal options. That is, you may be able to pursue legally protected visitation of your nephews and nieces. 

Filing for non-parent visitation 

In Washington, certain individuals have a right to file for non-parent visitation. While the law does not permit everyone to pursue visitation rights, the following individuals may: 

  •         Any blood relative
  •         The spouse of any blood relative
  •         A step-parent
  •         A step-sibling
  •         A half-sibling 

Because uncles are blood relatives, you may petition the court for visitation rights. To do so, you must file a petition with the Superior Court where your nephews and nieces live. 

Proving your case 

For a judge to approve your visitation petition, you must prove a two-part test. 

First, you must show you have an ongoing and substantial relationship with your nieces and nephews. Generally, this means demonstrating you have been in your nephews’ and nieces’ lives for at least two years. If they are under two, you must prove you have had mutual interaction with your nephews and nieces for at least half their lives. 

You also must prove that visiting your nephews and nieces is in their best interest. Because courts presume parents know what is best for the kids, you may have to overcome this presumption with evidence. Still, if you worry you may never see your nephews and nieces again, gathering evidence is likely worth the effort. 

Washington law offers some protection for uncles who wish to see their nieces and nephews. By understanding your legal rights, you can better advocate for yourself and the young ones in your extended family. 


Start Your Free Consultation

Our Office Locations

Federal Way Office
31919 1st Avenue South, Suite 103
Federal Way, WA 98003

Toll Free:888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Federal Way Office Location

Seattle Office
3418 NE 65th St., Suite A
Seattle, WA 98115

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Seattle Office Location

Bellevue Office
14777 NE 40th Street, Suite 206
Bellevue, WA 98007

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Bellevue Office Location