Clement Law Center your family law attorney
Free Initial Consultation
Our office is open. At Clement Law Center, the safety and wellbeing of our clients and employees come first. In response to COVID-19, court hearings and all conferences with client and prospective clients will be by phone. We are not conducting in-person court hearings or meetings. Our staff will often be working remotely during this time. Our office will be checking voicemail and will return client calls as soon as possible. We continue to offer free phone consultations.
We offer a 25% discount to First Responders and Health Care Workers
Attorney Bruce Clement headshot
Quality Representation & Individualized Advocacy You Can Depend On

What custody interference is

On Behalf of | May 13, 2020 | Child Custody & Visitation

Not all relationships and marriages end on good terms. Former couples may continue to have disagreements with each other even after their relationship has ended. The hostilities may be particularly elevated if kids are involved. This may especially be the case if one parent tries to prevent the other from gaining access to their children.

Any parent that prevents the other from seeing their children may be accused of custody interference. A mom or dad that attempts to withhold child support payments in hopes of gaining more visitation with their kids may also be accused of this same offense.

There are some serious legal consequences associated with parents engaging in custody interference here in Washington state. A mom or dad who does this may have their wages garnished or driver’s license suspended. Any parent who engages in such activities may also have their visitation or custody rights restricted by a Federal Way judge.

Your time as a couple might be over, but your role as parents will continue at least until your child is 18 years old. It’s in both your and your child’s best interests for you to have an amicable relationship with your ex.

You may be able to enjoy just as much time with your child as they spend with their other parent if you’re awarded joint physical custody of them. You may find that you’re unable to make school, health care and religious decisions on your child’s behalf unless you share joint legal custody of them though.

Making unilateral decisions without consulting with the parent that you share joint legal custody with can potentially jeopardize your custodial rights.

One of the best things that parents who are having difficulty abiding by parenting agreements can do is to try to talk through their concerns instead of getting the court involved. It can also be of great benefit to bring an attorney into the mix to help mediate these discussions. Your Federal Way lawyer may be the key that helps you resolve your differences before your Washington case escalates into a full-blown courtroom battle.


Start Your Free Consultation

Our Office Locations

Federal Way Office
31919 1st Avenue South, Suite 103
Federal Way, WA 98003

Toll Free:888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Federal Way Office Location

Seattle Office
3418 NE 65th St., Suite A
Seattle, WA 98115

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Seattle Office Location

Bellevue Office
14777 NE 40th Street, Suite 206
Bellevue, WA 98007

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Bellevue Office Location