Clement Law Center your family law attorney
Free Initial Consultation
Our office is open. At Clement Law Center, the safety and wellbeing of our clients and employees come first. In response to COVID-19, court hearings and all conferences with client and prospective clients will be by phone. We are not conducting in-person court hearings or meetings. Our staff will often be working remotely during this time. Our office will be checking voicemail and will return client calls as soon as possible. We continue to offer free phone consultations.
We offer a 25% discount to First Responders and Health Care Workers
Attorney Bruce Clement headshot
Quality Representation & Individualized Advocacy You Can Depend On

Are you the victim of parental alienation?

On Behalf of | Nov 3, 2020 | Child Custody & Visitation

Divorce is hard, especially if for couples with children. Unfortunately, some Washington residents will use their kids to hurt their former spouses. Parental alienation is one way they do this. If you believe you are a victim of parental alienation, you have options. The sooner you take action, the better things may turn out for you and for your kids.

What is parental alienation?

Parental alienation occurs when one parent purposely and actively works to discredit the other parent. The goal is usually to make the child not want a relationship with the alienated parent or to make the child feel that the other parent does not want a relationship with them. There are several ways a vindictive parent may do this, such as:

  • Telling a child their mom or dad is a bad person
  • Telling a child their mom or dad does not want to see them
  • Telling a child their mom or dad does not love them anymore
  • Preventing a child from contacting their other parent

How it affects children

Unfortunately, the alienated parent is not the only one who gets hurt when this type of behavior occurs. Children are also victims, and the effects of alienation can be extremely damaging on them. Children may:

  • Be overly angry
  • Have feelings of neglect
  • Demonstrate lack of empathy
  • Be physically and/or verbally abusive

If parental alienation is an issue in your divorce, you may be able to stop it by taking the matter to court. With the assistance of legal counsel, you can seek a custody modification and find justice for you and your child’s unfair treatment.

Washington residents who do end up achieving more time with their children through custody adjustments may then want to consider seeking professional counseling to help rebuild their relationship with their children.


Start Your Free Consultation

Our Office Locations

Federal Way Office
31919 1st Avenue South, Suite 103
Federal Way, WA 98003

Toll Free:888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Federal Way Office Location

Seattle Office
3418 NE 65th St., Suite A
Seattle, WA 98115

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Seattle Office Location

Bellevue Office
14777 NE 40th Street, Suite 206
Bellevue, WA 98007

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Bellevue Office Location