Clement Law Center - Federal Way Family Law Attorney
Free Initial Consultation
Our office is open. At Clement Law Center, the safety and wellbeing of our clients and employees come first. In response to COVID-19, court hearings and all conferences with client and prospective clients will be by phone. We are not conducting in-person court hearings or meetings. Our staff will often be working remotely during this time. Our office will be checking voicemail and will return client calls as soon as possible. We continue to offer free phone consultations.
We offer a 25% discount to First Responders and Health Care Workers
Quality Representation & Individualized Advocacy You Can Depend On

How difficult is it to change your child custody order?

Divorce will bring many changes in your life, and it is likely you will continue to experience changes well after your divorce is final. There are times when changes in your circumstances can affect your ability to adhere to the terms of your current custody order, which can be frustrating and overwhelming. If you find yourself in this situation, it is possible you have grounds to pursue a modification to your custody order.

Modifying a custody order involves specific legal steps. Even if you and the other parent agree on changing visitation schedules or other adjustments, it is still crucial to follow the appropriate process to secure a formal modification. If you need to change your current custody order, this does not negatively impact your parental rights or your ability to remain an active and involved parent.

Grounds for modification

If you are going to petition a Washington family court for a change to your custody order, there must be valid grounds to do so. Some of the most common reasons people have to change a custody and visitation order include:

  • Changes in circumstances involving the child, such as a newly diagnosed medical need or a change in school schedule
  • Changes in the parent’s work schedule or a new circumstance that affects his or her ability to abide by current terms
  • Changes in the preferences and wishes of the children, including the desire to live with the other parent

If the current visitation schedule and custody order is unworkable for you, there are options available. A change to your current order may provide you with the ability to be with your kids as much as possible according to our new circumstances. Asking for a change is not a reflection on you as a parent.

Where should you start?

If you are unsure of where you should start with seeking a modification to your custody and visitation order, it may be helpful to seek an assessment of your rights and options. This may help you understand how you can move forward with seeking a necessary change. As a parent, you have the right to pursue what is in the best interests of your kids, which includes certain adjustments that allow you to remain an active part of their lives.


Start Your Free Consultation

Our Office Locations

Federal Way Office
31919 1st Avenue South, Suite 103
Federal Way, WA 98003

Toll Free:888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Federal Way Office Location

Seattle Office
3418 NE 65th St., Suite A
Seattle, WA 98115

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Seattle Office Location

Bellevue Office
14777 NE 40th Street, Suite 206
Bellevue, WA 98007

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Bellevue Office Location
FindLaw Network