Clement Law Center your family law attorney
Free Initial Consultation
Our office is open. At Clement Law Center, the safety and wellbeing of our clients and employees come first. In response to COVID-19, court hearings and all conferences with client and prospective clients will be by phone. We are not conducting in-person court hearings or meetings. Our staff will often be working remotely during this time. Our office will be checking voicemail and will return client calls as soon as possible. We continue to offer free phone consultations.
We offer a 25% discount to First Responders and Health Care Workers
Photo of Clement Law Center's attorneys and staff
Quality Representation & Individualized Advocacy You Can Depend On
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child Custody & Visitation
  4.  » Child Support

When Do You Need A Child Support Lawyer?

In most cases, you do not need a lawyer for enforcement or modification of child support. The amount is based on the Washington State child support guidelines, and the state’s Division of Child Support (DCS) provides free collection service-custodial non-custodial parent fails to pay.

However, there may be situations in which you do need legal representation. For example, it is sometimes necessary to get a court order to correct a miscalculation by DCS of arrears (unpaid child support). In that event, Seattle area family law attorney Bruce Clement can capably protect your interests.

At Clement Law Center, we will refer you to DCS if your needs can be met without hiring a lawyer. Contact us today for a free consultation.

When Do You Need a Child Support Attorney?

You may need legal representation as the paying or recipient parent, for:

  • Initial determination of child support at divorce
  • Post-secondary support (see below)
  • Contested paternity
  • Contested modification
  • Large amounts of child support arrears
  • Interstate or international custody disputes

You probably do NOT need a lawyer for:

  • Paternity actions to compel child support — The state can require a DNA test to establish paternity, and DCS will calculate support and enter the order in most cases.
  • Collecting child support — DCS will collect unpaid child support on your behalf, and has authority to garnish wages.
  • Voluntary modification of child support — The court will amend the order upon a substantial change in circumstance, such as job loss

Paying For College

While child support typically ends when a child reaches the age of 18, parents in Washington parents can be required to contribute post-secondary education Support (PSES) toward the costs of attending college. The amount of PSES can be a very contentious issue, and the statutory guidelines are subject to interpretation. We can help you determine PSES obligations and represent you in court as necessary.

Contact Our Firm For The Guidance You Can Trust

Contact Clement Law Center to arrage a free, initial consultation. Call 253-954-3351 or 888-351-6779 to schedule your appointment at our Federal Way, Seattle or Bellevue offices, or e-mail us.

Start Your Free Consultation

Email Our Team Today

Our Office Locations

Federal Way Office
31919 1st Avenue South, Suite 103
Federal Way, WA 98003

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Federal Way Office Location

Seattle Office
3418 NE 65th St., Suite A
Seattle, WA 98115

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Seattle Office Location
Bellevue Office
14777 NE 40th Street, Suite 206
Bellevue, WA 98007

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Bellevue Office Location
Ask about our 25% Discount for Military Families and Employee Legal Benefit Programs.