Clement Law Center - Federal Way Family Law Attorney
Free Initial Consultation
Our office is open. At Clement Law Center, the safety and wellbeing of our clients and employees come first. In response to COVID-19, court hearings and all conferences with client and prospective clients will be by phone. We are not conducting in-person court hearings or meetings. Our staff will often be working remotely during this time. Our office will be checking voicemail and will return client calls as soon as possible. We continue to offer free phone consultations.
We offer a 25% discount to First Responders and Health Care Workers
Quality Representation & Individualized Advocacy You Can Depend On
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child Custody & Visitation
  4.  » Grandparents Rights (Non-Parental Custody)

Protecting Grandparents’ Rights And Petitioning For Custody

Grandparents do not have any inherent legal right to visitation with, or custody of, their grandchildren if the biological parents are capable of providing adequate care. However, grandparents and other relatives can petition for child custody under certain circumstances when it is in the child’s best interests.

If you have been cut off from your grandchildren, or if you are requesting custody to rescue a child from abuse or neglect, Clement Law Center can assess your situation and represent you if you need to institute legal proceedings to protect the children. We practice in the Seattle-Tacoma area and have handled grandparent and non-parent custody cases throughout the state of Washington. Contact us today for a free consultation.

Grandparent’s Rights To Custody

A Washington State case led to a landmark U.S. Supreme Court ruling on grandparents’ rights. This federal case overturned a state statute that authorized courts to order visitation for grandparents. The U.S. Supreme Court reasoned that the state law was so invasive to the rights of custodial parents that it amounted to a violation of their constitutional rights.

Many grandparents, discouraged by this case, have wrongly concluded that they are powerless to help their grandchildren when the biological parents are unable to properly care for their children due to drugs, alcohol or emotional illness. These grandparents are often the only hope their grandkids have for stable custodians. The grandparents in these situations should not give up.

  • These custody disputes often arise with divorced or unmarried parents. Grandparents will often have access to the grandchildren during their own son or daughter’s residential time.
  • Grandparents whose adult child is called to military duty may be able to obtain designation by court order to exercise the visitation rights with their grandchild.
  • Grandparents can also petition for custody on their own, when the biological parents are simply unable or unwilling to provide appropriate care for the children.

You Can Depend On Us For Non-Parental Custody Issues

In certain circumstances, a court may grant custody to grandparents, aunts, uncles, adult siblings or other interested parties. To petition for non-parental custody, you must assert that both parents have abandoned the child or are unfit because of abuse, neglect, addictions or mental illness. Clement Law Center has successfully sued for custody on behalf of grandparents and others, usually when they have already been sheltering and providing for the child. Obtaining formal custody allows the grandparents or relatives to act on the child’s behalf regarding education, health care and other official matters.

Bruce Clement has experience in representing grandparents in cases involving military custody as well as interstate/international custody matters.

Contact A Seasoned Custody Lawyer Today

Contact Clement Law Center to arrage a free, initial consultation. Call 253-954-3351 or 888-351-6779, or e-mail us. We serve the greater Seattle-Tacoma area, Pierce County and King County from three convenient locations in Federal Way, Bellevue and Seattle.

Start Your Free Consultation

Email Our Team Today

Our Office Locations

Federal Way Office
31919 1st Avenue South, Suite 103
Federal Way, WA 98003

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Federal Way Office Location

Seattle Office
3418 NE 65th St., Suite A
Seattle, WA 98115

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Seattle Office Location
Bellevue Office
14777 NE 40th Street, Suite 206
Bellevue, WA 98007

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Bellevue Office Location
Ask about our 25% Discount for Military Families and Employee Legal Benefit Programs.