Clement Law Center your family law attorney
Free Initial Consultation
Our office is open. At Clement Law Center, the safety and wellbeing of our clients and employees come first. In response to COVID-19, court hearings and all conferences with client and prospective clients will be by phone. We are not conducting in-person court hearings or meetings. Our staff will often be working remotely during this time. Our office will be checking voicemail and will return client calls as soon as possible. We continue to offer free phone consultations.
We offer a 25% discount to First Responders and Health Care Workers
Attorney Bruce Clement headshot
Quality Representation & Individualized Advocacy You Can Depend On

Staying in contact with your children from a distance

On Behalf of | May 10, 2017 | Divorce

If you are having to relocate following a divorce, it can be difficult to imagine living hundreds or even thousands of miles away from your children. Technology makes it easier to keep up with your kids these days, but you will have to make an effort. You cannot put the burden on your children to reach out to you. 

Children need both parents involved in their lives. The research clearly demonstrates that children who are engaged with both parents tend to do better in school, have better coping skills and keep away from drugs and alcohol.   

To keep in touch from a distance, here are some tips: 

  • Ask your children how they want to communicate. Teenagers may prefer text or a messenger app, while younger children may do better with Skype.
  • Be flexible with your children’s schedules. If your kids have other plans sometimes, ask to talk a different time. Do not get mad or angry.
  • Ask your children about their hobbies. Read up on these things to have something to talk about, and perhaps even send items to encourage their interests without being asked.  
  • Use regular mail to send postcards of where you are to your children. Send small packages when you pick up something they might like. Sharing local culture gives you something else to talk about.
  • Try to find ways to send quick messages each day to let your children know you are thinking about them, wherever you are. 

Child custody modification 

Change is never easy, even in the best of circumstances. Many people have to move across the country following a divorce, due to military or job responsibilities. But you deserve to have a relationship with your children, no matter how many miles are between you. If a modification is required in your child custody plan, you might want to talk to a lawyer before going to the other parent. 


Start Your Free Consultation

Our Office Locations

Federal Way Office
31919 1st Avenue South, Suite 103
Federal Way, WA 98003

Toll Free:888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Federal Way Office Location

Seattle Office
3418 NE 65th St., Suite A
Seattle, WA 98115

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Seattle Office Location

Bellevue Office
14777 NE 40th Street, Suite 206
Bellevue, WA 98007

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Bellevue Office Location