Call Us Anytime: Phones Answered 24/7

Experienced. Innovative. Trusted.

Group photo of the attorneys and staff members at Clement Law Center

Relocation can spark challenges in a Washington divorce

On Behalf of | Mar 9, 2020 | Relocation |

There are any number of reasons that a Washington married couple may choose to sell their home and move elsewhere. However, if the spouses involved are preparing for divorce, the whole topic of relocation may create challenges regarding child custody proceedings. If a noncustodial parent files an objection to a custodial parent’s intent to relocate notice, the judge overseeing the case will make a ruling.

In all matters of custody, visitation and child support, the court always keeps children’s best interests at the forefront. If, after considering all pertinent factors in a particular case, a judge believes a relocation would benefit the children in question, he or she may grant the custodial parent permission to move out of state or out of the country. On the other hand, if the court believes a parent’s desire to relocate is based on selfish reasons rather than children’s best interests, the court may prohibit the move.

In this state, a noncustodial parent typically has 30 days to file an objection after receiving written notice of a custodial parent’s intent to relocate a child. Parents are sometimes able to settle disagreements about relocation out of court. When that is not possible, a case may go to trial. 

The Clement Law Center in Washington, is fully equipped to address any and all aspects of relocation in conjunction with child custody proceedings. Whether you’re a custodial or noncustodial parent, if you’re concerned about your rights or your children’s best interests, you may reach out for support by requesting a meeting with our experienced legal team. It’s also a good idea to have an experienced attorney review your parenting plan if it is going to include details regarding a long-distance parent/child relationship. For instance, an attorney can help ensure that a noncustodial parent receives ample time with his or her children during summer and/or holiday seasons.