Clement Law Center - Federal Way Family Law Attorney
Free Initial Consultation
Our office is open. At Clement Law Center, the safety and wellbeing of our clients and employees come first. In response to COVID-19, court hearings and all conferences with client and prospective clients will be by phone. We are not conducting in-person court hearings or meetings. Our staff will often be working remotely during this time. Our office will be checking voicemail and will return client calls as soon as possible. We continue to offer free phone consultations.
We offer a 25% discount to First Responders and Health Care Workers
Quality Representation & Individualized Advocacy You Can Depend On

Do children get a say in custody matters?

On Behalf of | Oct 6, 2020 | Child Custody & Visitation

There is nothing easy about going through divorce or legal separation as a parent. The change in the family dynamic can be difficult for children to adjust to, at least for a while. The total lack of control over the situation can make some children feel lost and helpless. Kids just want to be heard, but if they express their wishes concerning child custody, does the state of Washington give them any say in the matter?

How is custody decided?

Generally, parents or a judge get to decide what the best custody arrangement will be. The ideal way to reach a custody agreement is for parents to negotiate terms either in private or with the assistance of legal counsel. However, some parents are not able to arrive at a mutual agreement.

If needed, a judge will step in and issue a custody order after considering certain factors, such as the age of the children, parent-child relationships, the wishes of the parents, living arrangements and any specific needs the children may have — among various other things.

Will a judge listen?

There is nothing that strictly says children’s wishes regarding custody have to be taken into consideration. They are sometimes asked to express their opinions on the matter, but a judge does not have to grant a custody order based on those opinions. Generally speaking, children’s custody-related wishes are not taken into serious consideration unless the children are deemed mature enough to understand the gravity of their requests.

If you have one or more children who have strong opinions about what your family’s custody order should look like, you have some big decisions to make. As the parent, you know your children best and what type of arrangement would serve their best interests.


Start Your Free Consultation

Our Office Locations

Federal Way Office
31919 1st Avenue South, Suite 103
Federal Way, WA 98003

Toll Free:888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Federal Way Office Location

Seattle Office
3418 NE 65th St., Suite A
Seattle, WA 98115

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Seattle Office Location

Bellevue Office
14777 NE 40th Street, Suite 206
Bellevue, WA 98007

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Bellevue Office Location
FindLaw Network