Call Us Anytime: Phones Answered 24/7

Experienced. Innovative. Trusted.

Group photo of the attorneys and staff members at Clement Law Center

Fight for a just and comprehensive divorce settlement

On Behalf of | Oct 27, 2020 | High-Asset Divorce |

When dissolving a marriage in Washington, the property division phase of the process can be the toughest part for some residents to get through. You may have ideas of what you want to get out of the divorce, but you may find yourself struggling to get exactly what you need.

Thankfully, with legal counsel on your side, you can fight for a divorce settlement that protects your interests.

What constitutes marital property?

Washington is a community property state, which means all marital property in a divorce is considered equally owned by both parties. Examples of marital property include shared accounts, the marital home, income, retirement accounts and just about any other property (but not necessarily all) acquired by either spouse during the marriage, including debt.

Exactly how property is split is up to each couple, if they can successfully negotiate settlement terms together. If they cannot, a judge will get the final say on the matter. Separate property will be left alone unless it is possible to prove it should actually be considered a marital asset.

When you begin the negotiations process, it is good to have a list of things you need to get out of the divorce settlement, such as what you need to support yourself and move forward in the best position possible. You may also want to have a list of things you want and a list of what you can live without. Some things are not worth fighting for, but others most certainly are.

Achieving fair divorce terms

A divorce settlement should not be lopsided. Fighting for a fair settlement can be challenging and may take time, but it is time well spent if you end up walking away with balanced terms. What that looks like is different for every couple.

Legal counsel can help you figure out what fair divorce terms means for you. To learn more about how property division works in the state of Washington and how legal counsel can assist you with the aspect of the divorce process, contact a qualified attorney.