Clement Law Center - Federal Way Family Law Attorney
Free Initial Consultation
Our office is open. At Clement Law Center, the safety and wellbeing of our clients and employees come first. In response to COVID-19, court hearings and all conferences with client and prospective clients will be by phone. We are not conducting in-person court hearings or meetings. Our staff will often be working remotely during this time. Our office will be checking voicemail and will return client calls as soon as possible. We continue to offer free phone consultations.
We offer a 25% discount to First Responders and Health Care Workers
Quality Representation & Individualized Advocacy You Can Depend On

Can I relocate with my kids after divorce?

On Behalf of | Dec 24, 2020 | Child Custody & Visitation

After you divorce is final, you may want a fresh start. You may want to move, to accept a better job in a new city or relocate closer to family members out of state who can help you care for your children. However, can you relocate after divorce if you have parenting plan established with your ex?

Negotiating a move and child custody modification

If you have primary custody or joint custody of your children, you will have to notify your ex about relocating. You likely will have to renegotiate your parenting plan or child custody agreement if your ex agrees. Or if your ex opposes you relocating, you may end up in court over your child custody agreement.

Each state has different standards when evaluating whether to allow a relocation after divorce when children are involved. In Washington, you have to show that you have a good faith reason for moving to maintain your child custody agreement. This includes if you are moving to:

  • Take a new job
  • Go back to college
  • Be closer to family

Getting an attorney’s help

You want to work closely with an experienced family law attorney if you plan to relocate and want to maintain primary custody of your children. You want to show the court you aren’t trying to cut your ex out of your child’s life and your move will benefit your child.

You also want an attorney to help you advocate for you, to show how important your involvement is in your child’s life and how you can provide a stable environment for your child. You don’t want to take the chance of trying to represent yourself in an important child custody hearing if your ex objects to your relocation plans.


Start Your Free Consultation

Our Office Locations

Federal Way Office
31919 1st Avenue South, Suite 103
Federal Way, WA 98003

Toll Free:888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Federal Way Office Location

Seattle Office
3418 NE 65th St., Suite A
Seattle, WA 98115

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Seattle Office Location

Bellevue Office
14777 NE 40th Street, Suite 206
Bellevue, WA 98007

Toll Free: 888-351-6779
Phone: 253-954-3351
Fax: 253-815-8458
Bellevue Office Location
FindLaw Network