The end of your marriage is going to bring significant changes to your life, and you may have concerns about the different ways that this choice could impact you long-term. As you prepare for what is ahead during and after divorce, you will benefit from preparing for your future by making smart choices that will be beneficial and sustainable. There is no single right way to handle divorce, and you will find it helpful to seek terms that allow you to look ahead with confidence.
During this process, you will experience strong feelings, and it may be tempting to allow your feelings to influence the choices that you make regarding your divorce. This is never a smart approach as feelings change, and temporary emotions are rarely good indicators of what will be best long-term. As you consider your options, it is helpful to keep your focus on what is ideal for your future interests.
Changes to your life
If you have children, one of the first impacts of your Washington divorce that you could experience is the freedom that comes with being able to make decisions on your own. You can make choices that will be in your interests and those of your children, even if they are contrary to what the other party thinks. This sense of independence may be a welcome change for you. The following are examples of changes you may experience and unexpected things you may face as a result of your divorce:
- You may find that your relationship with your ex could improve, and you may be able to co-parent peacefully together.
- It can take time to feel normal again, and you may go through feelings of genuine grief, hurt and anger.
- Moving on is not always easy, and it is normal to experience changes in other relationships in your life, such as your friendships.
- There will be changes to when and how you can see your kids, but this gives you the opportunity to be a better parent.
- Co-parenting can be exhausting and challenging, but it is not impossible, even if you and the other parent are not amicable.
Divorce will change your life in many ways, but it is important to note that these changes are not always bad. It is important to seek reasonable terms in your final order as this will provide you with a strong foundation as you navigate these changes and pursue long-term stability and security.